POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : volcano WIP4 : Re: volcano WIP4 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: volcano WIP4
From: David El Tom
Date: 3 Feb 2006 02:43:45
Message: <43e309b1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> I now have some proper smoke and underwater lava!

great improvment since first version ... wow.

> The only things I can see that need more work now are:
> -steam: many people suggested various points for steam to be appearing, and
> I totally agree.

I see a small problem by adding steam colums where the lava hits the water. Your
smoke colum implies a wind drift coming from left-behind. So the steam colum
would also drift to the right-front and would cover parts of the most
interessting elements in your scene.

> -colours: it's all gone a bit grey in this version, I want to get some black
> in the smoke and volcanic rocks.
> -more colours!: that water just looks wrong IMO, should be very cloudy,
> darker, less green, and with steam bubbling round the lava.

The underwater part looks just to calm. As I renember right, there won`t be much
bubbles as they tend to implode in the cold water (making this cracking noise).
But due to the heat you get some kind of striation (Schlierenbildung ???),
meaning the large temperature gradient causes a field of water with variable IOR
surrounding the lava. As POV can't deal with variable IOR right now, I don't
know a quick solution; maybe a series of consecutive isocentric transparent
spheres with slightly turbulated normals (and a different IOR to the water
container of cause) could be used to fake it.

... dave